Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bangkok Days 4 and 5

So things have been pretty chill here. I spent yesterday exploring some of Chinatown and after about 1 hour of roaming (as much "roaming" one can do with 2 ft of walking space, tons of people, and 3 lanes of traffic...) I needed a rest and grabbed some thai iced tea for a bit. I forgot that the Thais put cream into the iced tea so it was much more of a treat than I anticipated...yum!

The days have been nice and restful, I've taken to hanging out by the pool in my hotel each day and swimming laps for a bit. I saw another movie last night, "Red Cliff Part I". The problem with it was that it was really really good and now I need to make sure that I can see Part II in the states! It's a Chinese action/drama about the last clan battles before the end of the Han dynasty in China. For anyone interested in the history the movie does a really good job of showing what really went on but they also throw in some fantastic sword and spear choreography. It was great! The only problem with the late movie was the I waited an hour for the bus, got bitten like crazy my mosquitos and finally relented to a taxi. I didn't get home until after 1am! By then I was 1) hungry again since I'd eaten dinner at 6:30 and 2) really awake. Good thing I had a kashi bar waiting for me and some terrible movie on the Hallmark channel (lame I know). But I don't like going out on my own too late here. It's fun early in the night but it's no fun walking around on your own when there are lots of drunken back-packers floating around. So I opted for the bad movie and the kashi bar...

Today was a good one, I went to bed really late last night so I slept in until 10. I then did the usual long breakfast of many cups of coffee and the Bangkok Post. I also watched our President give his speech here in Bangkok live! I of course didn't get to go see it, however I saw it live on BBC with a great commentary afterward. I must say, President Bush is not my favorite but he did a really great job with the speech and I am proud of the things he said about Asian relations with the US and his commentary on China. Well done!

It was a day of spa stuff otherwise. I did a bit of shopping for gifts and such things and then went in for a great afternoon of waxing and mani-pedi fun. The woman who was helping me did everything from my nails to my waxing, wow! She was really great especially since with each pull of hair I squeked and flinched...she was extremely patient and kept trying to make sure I was okay. she'd bring me magazines to distract me, it was great! After the better part of 3 hours I headed out for some lunch, lots of fruit and my favorite Phad See-Ew with Chicken. Then it was the usual pool time with a bit of reading and some swimming. I'm off now to see the premier (yes yes it opens tonight) of a movie called, "Where the Miracle Happens" it's a Thai film starring one of the crown princesses. it could stink but the reviews were all good, they had to be we all know how the Thais feel about their royals! Anyways this theatre is only 80 baht (which is about $2.50) for a movie. Great evening activity if you ask me. Oh and next door to the theatre is a frozen yogurt place that piles on fresh fruits, yummy!!!

Alright, off to the film. I'll post again tomorrow and Jason arrives tomorrow night (hurray!)!!!!!

No comments: